How Often Should I Replace My Heating System?
With winter well underway in Massachusetts, you may be asking yourself a couple of questions: Is my heater doing a good job? Could it be better? Upgrading your heating system with a high-efficiency replacement comes with several advantages, including lower heating bills and cleaner indoor air. So, when exactly is the ideal time to replace your heater? Generally speaking, if your heater functions well and isn’t requiring many repairs, its lifespan is about 15 years. However, if your heater is not that old but is constantly breaking down, needing repairs, producing strange odors and sounds, then it’s likely time for a replacement. If you notice any of the following signs, it’s a sure-fire indication that it’s time for a replacement.
Signs It’s Time for a Heating System Replacement
- Strange Noises or Smells: A strange noise coming from your basement isn’t always cause for alarm, but if you start to hear out-of-the-ordinary humming, banging, or clunking coming from your heating system, it could be time for a replacement. Abnormal odors can be another red flag.
- Uneven Heating: Does the temperature throughout your home vary more than a little? If your thermostat reads a typical temperature, but heat is not reaching all areas of your home equally, that can indicate the decline of your equipment’s operation capabilities.
- High Energy Bills: Efficiency with any piece of equipment will decline with age, but consistently climbing heating costs, without extreme weather or household size increase, is a clear symptom of decreased fuel economy. New high-efficiency models can reach efficiency ratings of up to 95, leading to significantly reduced heating expenses.
- Dusty or Dry Air: How is your home’s air quality? Excess amounts of dust or drastic changes in air humidity can be a result of an ineffective heating system. Regular maintenance will improve indoor air quality temporarily, but over time, a replacement is the only sure-fire solution.
- Increased Repair Frequency: Like any piece of machinery, your heating equipment will suffer from more breakdowns as years of wear and tear go by. Look back on your recent service history. Instead of spending your money on recurring repair visits, you will get more bang for your buck by investing in a new high-efficiency system.
If you’ve noticed any of these red flags with your heating system, get in touch with us at Ken Duval. We can help you determine if it’s time to replace your heating system.